The History of Kelly & Windsor Australia
We are very proud of our history, a lot of milestones and success
2001 - The K&W start up
- Company and manufacturing facility established with the acquisition of fibre processing and quilting equipment.
- Commenced business in manufacturing furniture cushions and non-woven fibre fill product ranges.
2002 - The K&W brand vision
- Initial design and testing of bedding quilts made with specialty fibres including alpaca, cashmere, mohair, Lyocell and silk.
- Kelly & Windsor brand established.
- Strategic exclusive alliance agreement with the Australian Alpaca industry to develop alpaca bedding accessories.
- Commenced design and testing of alpaca quilts.
2003 - Launch of the K&W brand
- Launch of the new Kelly & Windsor brand of luxury alpaca quilts - Alpaca Classic Collection.
- Released through David Jones, a leading Australian premium department store.
- First website was launched.
2004 - The first exports
- Released Alpaca Classic underblankets and pillow and Alpaca Light (alpaca/cotton) bedding range.
- Exhibited at Heimtextil fair, Germany.
- First exports to Hong Kong.
2005 - Alpaca Gold quilts, a superstar product
- Alpaca Gold (pure alpaca) quilt range released.
- Exhibited at Heimtextil fair, Germany, second year.
- First exports to Japan.
- New website launched.
2006 - More new alpaca quilts collections
- Released the "His & Hers" dual weight quilt design in the Alpaca Gold and Alpaca Classic styles.
- Upgraded carding and pillow lines.
- First exports to China & Taiwan.
2007 - Technical innovations
- Installed needle fabric equipment to manufacture alpaca and wool blend fabrics for the craft and interlining business.
- Acquired multi needle quilting equipment.
- Exhibited at Shanghai Intertextile Home Textile and the Shanghai Furnishing Fair.
2008 - A new brand
- Alpaca Softop (needle felt fabrics) released.
- The Australian Alpaca Bedding Company brand name established with its own product range.
- First online sales site launched.
2009 - Contract OEM started up
- Introduction of UltraSoft seamless quilt design, patent pending.
- Upgrade of all alpaca quilting collections.
- Establishment of contract manufacturing business - quilted and needled products
2010 - Exports surge
- Exports expanded into China, Korea and Taiwan.
- Exhibited at the Hong Kong Home Textiles fair.
- Expansion of business into high performance products eg flame retardant bedding, fire protection screens.
- Launched the Australian Country Wool range of wool quilts, duvets, doonas, comforters and underblankets.
2011 - Plant upgrades
- Two new quilting lines purchased and installed for super king sizes for Australia and International markets.
- Exhibited at the Hong Kong Home Textile fair, second year.
- TV shopping in Taiwan
2012 - A big year
- Exhibited at the Hong Kong Home Textile fair, third year.
- Exhibited at Shanghai Home Textile fair.
- Accredited as an approved supplier to the Australian Department of Defence, Royal Australian Navy for flame retardant bedding products (quilts, pillows, linen and quilt covers) for submarine and surface vessels.
- Released Alpaca Bamboo quilt collection, a world's first innovation in natural bedding.
- TV shopping in Taiwan, second year and a sell out
2013 - On line shopping
- Launched new marketing website with updated on line shopping facility.
- Exhibited at Heimtextil fair, Frankfurt, third year.
- TV shopping in Australia with 6 shows, all sold out
2014 - A record year of growth
- Exhibited at Heimtextil fair, Frankfurt, Germany, fourth year.
- Exhibited at Intertextile fair, Shanghai, China
- Exhibited at Maison Objet fair, Paris, France
- Extended the range of Alpaca Bamboo quilt collection - a 300gsm lightweight and a 600gsm super warm version released.
- Acquired state of the art embroidery equipment for new quilt design collections
2015 - European sales program launched
- Kelly & Windsor Europe BV, a 100% subsidiary incorporated in Netherlands to support the European sales program.
- Designed and released the world's first All Seasons alpaca quilt collections - Alpaca Bamboo and Alpaca Gold versions
- Exhibited at Heimtextil, Frankfurt, fifth year
- Exhibited at Maison Objet, Paris, second year
2016 - Record export orders
- Exhibited at Heimtextil, Frankfurt, sixth year
- Kelly & Windsor Europe BV in Netherlands set up
- Several sales visits to Europe to launch the brand, positive. First orders taken with high end retailers in Netherlands and Belgium
- Production capacity expanded with several plant & process initiatives
- Export orders reach all-time record to China and Taiwan
2017 - Year of the Rooster
- Established The Australian Alpaca Bedding Company as the K&W master distributor P R China
- Designed and launched the AABC alpaca and wool bedding product range for China
- Launched new AABC web site in English & Chinese
- Exhibited at Heimtextil (seventh year)
- Exhibited at Intertextiles Shanghai Fair
- Co branding program with HYX of China
- Alibaba sent film crew to Australia to make a video about Kelly & Windsor and AABC
- Secured major supply contracts with the Australian Royal Navy for bedding products
- Commenced on line selling into China - Seeco and others. Our first 11th November sales event
2018 - A "Blue Ocean Year"
- Exhibited at Heimtextil (8th year)
- Exhibited at Spring and Autumn Intertextile Fair in Shanghai
- Expanded on line sales in China - TMall, JD.com
- Expanded private label quilt business and established an alliance for export to China.